Activision has announced that all features for Call of Duty Elite will become free with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.
"We've learned a lot in our first year of Call of Duty Elite, and we're very proud that we over delivered on our commitment of playable content to our premium members," said Activision Publishing CEO, Eric Hirshberg. "What we have realized is that several of the Call of Duty Elite services which are currently only available to our premium members for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 are things that would further unite, engage and delight our player community. So we are going to make them free for Call of Duty: Black Ops II."
This means that future downloadable content for Black Ops 2 will be sold via four individual map packs or as one collective unit as part of a “Season Pass” promotion for 4,000 MS Points ($49.99 on Xbox Live with prices on PS3 and PC to be revealed later). We just can’t escape Season Passes, can we? These DLC packs will release some time in 2013.
Current Call of Duty Elite paying subscribers will get to enjoy their exclusive benefits with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 until their subscription runs out. Then things go free for Black Ops 2.
There will also be new features added to CoD Elite for Black Ops 2. Here’s a list straight from Activision:
- Player HQ– Track Call of Duty: Black Ops II performance with rich game statistics, including enhanced match information such as heat maps and recent match data; track challenges and extensively modify your classes like never before using Treyarch's new Pick 10 Create-a-Class system.
- Clan HQ– Join an existing clan or start your own, invite friends and then take part in Call of Duty: Black Ops II clan competitions with cool digital prizing.
- Zombies Support– For the millions of Zombies fans out there, now you can track your Zombies personal statistics and compare it to other players' around the world.
- Call of Duty EliteTV– Launching with tablet support with Call of Duty: Black Ops II, the new Call of Duty EliteTV will deliver a renewed community focus featuring developer tips and strategy programming, custom class overviews and more.
- Social Sharing and Notifications– With Call of Duty Elite's new notification system, you can stay updated with what is going on in Call of Duty: Black Ops II, as well as communicate directly with your clan.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 will be available on November 13, 2012 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. It will also be available on November 18 for Wii U owners.