It’s official – Activision has announced Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Are you as shocked as we are? [/sarcasm]
What is pretty shocking, however, is that Black Ops 2 will actually take place in the near future, instead of the past. The game’s official website reads:
"Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 propels players into a near future, 21st Century Cold War, where technology and weapons have converged to create a new generation of warfare."
Activision premiered the game’s debut trailer during the NBA playoffs tonight. It’s embedded below for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy the return of Sgt. Frank Woods from the original Black Ops and horseback riding!
Additionally, we’ve been sent a few early screenshots of Black Ops 2. Here you’ll see some futuristic looking soldiers, attack drones, a mech that looks like it was ripped straight out of a Metal Gear title, and the title’s box art (both for 360 and PS3). Click each image to enlarge.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is slated for release on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on November 13. The game is being developed by Treyarch, the folks who handled the original Black Ops.
Does the reveal of Black Ops 2 surprise you at all? Are you looking forward to it? Let us know in the comments below.
We now have some more details concerning Black Ops 2, thanks to the fine folks at Polygon. They are as follows:
- The single-player campaign will be a generational tale, starting in the late 1980s and proceeding to the year seen above in the debut trailer, 2025.
- You will play as Black Ops 1’s Alex Mason, as well as his son, David Mason, in the future.
- The story will be narrated by now-old Frank Woods (see trailer above for how old).
- The crux of the story details the rise of Raul Menendez, the game’s villain. Menendez will be turning the world’s armies against themselves.
- The game will feature “Strike Force” mission, which introduce choice and consequence to the single player campaign. The outcomes of these solo missions (who lives/who dies) will factor into how the campaign plays out, says Treyarch.
- Multiplayer will be set entirely in the futuristic setting of 2025.
- Zombie mode will return.