Nintendo has announced the official launch lineup for the 3DS, hitting store shelves on March 27, 2011. There will be three first-party published titles for $39.99 each, which will release alongside the handheld system that will run you $249.99. The three games are Pilotwings Resort, Steel Diver and nintendogs + cats. Here’s a little bit about each:
• Pilotwings Resort, an aerial adventure featuring airplanes, hang gliders and rocket belts. Players soar above tropical Wuhu Island in 3D as they complete missions or snap pictures.
• Steel Diver, a submarine game that involves strategy and combat. The 3D visuals give players the sensation that they are looking into a miniature aquarium as they control the sub’s speed, depth and pitch, and fire torpedoes.
• nintendogs + cats, a game that lets players interact with realistic puppies – and kittens – in a variety of fun ways. There are three versions of the software, each with different starting breeds: French bulldog, toy poodle and golden retriever. But in each version players can unlock and enjoy more than 20 different breeds.
The Nintendo 3DS also comes with pre-installed software: Face Raiders and AR Cards. Face Raiders is a game that “asks users to shoot at funny depictions of their own photographed faces,” while the AR Cards lets you view the world through the 3DS’s outer cameras and “bring to life fun and interesting animations and images.”
In addition to the Nintendo published titles, there will be 13 third-party published games releasing alongside the handheld system.
• Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition from CAPCOM
• The Sims 3 from EA
• Madden NFL Football from EA SPORTS
• Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D from Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
• LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars from LucasArts
• RIDGE RACER 3D from NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.
• Super Monkey Ball 3D from SEGA
• BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE from Square-Enix, Inc.
• SAMURAI WARRIORS: Chronicles from TECMO KOEI AMERICA Corp.
• Asphalt 3D from UBISOFT
• Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D from UBISOFT
• Rayman 3D from UBISOFT
• Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars from UBISOFT
Finally, the remakes of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64, as well as the new Kid Icarus: Uprising and Mario Kart 3DS will see release sometime in 2011.